Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rejuvenating Evening

This morning when I woke up I did my yoga practice like normal.  I was really unsure whether I should do my walk/run today, because of my talk with a running mentor. He emphasized how important it was for me to have my knee checked out by my doctor. He said that he has know runners that will train through an injury and then they seriously injure themselves which results in being off for 6-8 months. I really do not want to have that happen or cause anymore pain to my body.  So, I chose to wait until after I got off work and decide later.

I also had already planned to go to this meeting that a friend was holding at Munroe Falls Park. She said that it was for anyone interested in running, biking or triathlon. Okay, maybe a triathlon isn't in my near future, but I was interested.  In the email that I got, she just said to show up. I packed my bag with a suit, and my running clothes because I would have to go straight from work. I wasn't really sure what was going to happen. I honestly thought that is was going to be more of a talking info session.  But it was held at a park where there was a fee, so I was really up for anything.  The park has a big lake, trails, tennis courts and road that goes all the way around the lake.

I found the group that met and there were 4 men and 3 other women.  My friend and one of the other women were experience triathletes, and so were 2 of the men.  I know that the third woman and I were inexperienced.  It was great to have people that were willing to teach and show me how to do things. The next thing I know, I'm changing into my suit. We are going to swim laps.  I'm so grateful for having had experience swimming laps! We had to do 8 laps to complete a mile while swimming.  We got 3 in before they blew the whistle on us for a break.  If my math is correct, we did at least 1/3 of a mile.  Then the inexperienced triathletes went to change into our running clothes. One of the experienced runners had a knee injury as well, so she agreed to run at my pace with me. I was extremely grateful because my pace was A LOT slower than everyone else's! It was great to get to know Julie and make our way around the lake which was at least 1 mile or more. It was sunny, it was cooling off because it was evening, and it was beautiful!

I learned several things this evening. One is that I should never run on a treadmill, black top or concrete. They are too hard and don't have enough give to them which can cause a lot issues in your knees, hips, feet, etc.  Second, I shouldn't run heel to toe.  Julie said that every time I put my heel down it's like using breaks on your body AND 3 times your body weight. Then your body has to gear itself back up every step.  So, I need to step more in the middle of my foot and keep my feet under my body. The third thing that I learned was that I need to keep my head in the water, as well as, my shoulders to protect my neck and keep my body straight in the water instead of slanted.  Keeping my head and shoulders in the water will not only save me from neck pain, but also increase my speed.

It was such a rejuvenating night. I met new people, learned things I didn't know, and got to work out with other people who really enjoy it! It was exactly what I needed, right when I needed it.  Thank you to Cassie for including me in your mass email! Oh, the other thing that I learned was to not say that my body is angry at me, but to say that it is grateful to be used.  I had said that my pec was angry at me for swimming, and Julie suggested saying that my muscles are grateful to be used and that I have nerve endings there that are happy to be acknowledged. It was fun. It's 5 weeks into my training, I'm having knee issues, and I was able to swim and run without any severe pain~ plus it was enjoyable.  It was great night! Now I need to surf Craigslist for a bicycle, go swimsuit shopping, buy goggles and a watch.  And not forget to do yoga! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment