Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 4: Low Key

Week 4 started out with a 30 min. walk/run on Monday, 20th. I also worked in my crunches.  I did my walk/run at my original slow pace.  It was difficult to be running slower, but for the sake of my knees I figured it was worth it!  Wednesday, I was still pretty nervous to walk/run.  My knees continued to feel better, but they were still sore.  Then I was blessed with a 30 min. sports massage by my friend, Shana Jane Steinhouse.  She is a miracle worker. I decided to post pone my Wed. walk/run.  On Thursday, I did a 10 min. walk/run, crunches.  I'm continuing to do yoga every day and extra stretches to work on my tight hamstrings.  Apparently, tight hamstrings can be a major cause of knee pain.  Later in the evening, I did about a 50 min. walk with a friend.  It was great to just walk and talk. Friday I noticed that my every day movements seem to be getting stronger which is very nice.  I have a huge fear of having to quit this half-marathon training.  On the other hand, it is also difficult to back off and go slower/shorter to wait for my knees to heal. But I'm trying my best at practicing.

So, Saturday's long run was 2.5 miles. My usual long run partner actually forgot to get up. It was funny.  But thankfully, another friend showed up.  She also brought along her Boston Terrier/Pug mix to enjoy our morning run with us. I also was still trying to go easy.  So, I went pretty slow on my run interval, and took longer walk breaks.  And we actually did 3 miles.  As there are no 1/4 mile markers.  So, Rocky lived it up on the trail.  It sniffed everyone and wanted to meet every other dog on the trail.  He doesn't seem to have the best manners on the trail, he's a newbie.  Most people seemed to like Rocky, there were others that looked like they were going to completely trip over him, but there were no injuries incurred.  It was also hard for me because my friend and Rocky had a quicker pace than I did when running.  But as long I envisioned a string between the two of us with her pulling me forward, it wasn't bad.  Plus, I was just glad to be able to part of my 3 mile walk/run.

It is very easy for me to blow off my stretching and yoga, because it doesn't take that long.  And I like to try and tell myself that it doesn't really make that big of a difference.  But from the improvements that I've made, it is has to be making a difference.  Plus every stretching, and running book that I read usually suggests the exact stretches that are in my yoga practice.  So, I have only missed one day in the last week.  It is definitely practice.  I really don't like when things are the same all the time, and usually as long as I tell myself that I only have to do it for today, then I can do it with ease. I'm still dealing with a lot of thoughts and mind-racing while doing yoga. I keep telling myself that that will get better with time.  And that I just need to keep focusing on the moment.

For now, I'm still in the Half-Marathon game.  Til next time, Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment