Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Week 5: Able to run again!

Monday, the 27th, was absolutely awesome.  I got to do a 25 min. walk/run at my original slower pace, but I was able to do it! I still had some pain in my right knee. Not enough to stop, but enough to be concerned about. So, I now have scheduled myself an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that my 9 year-old iPod actually bit the dust. It's tragic.  I think I may have to have a memorial service for it.  So this run was a la Channel 3.  Luckily, I got to watch The Doctors show and the beginning of Ellen. Let's face it, Ellen is pretty hilarious and how could I not be inspired while watching Ellen trying to learn a hip hop dance and perform live on TV.

The other noteworthy experience during my day at the gym was while stretching. I've recently incorporated a hamstring stretch into my warm-up and cool down. It has me putting my leg up on a bar while standing and resting my heel on the bar. I was able to do this at the trail that I run on on the weekend and on the side of the track at the gym. This time I was stretching at the mirror where there are double bars. I stood there for seriously 30 seconds trying to figure out how I was going to do my said hamstring stretch.  30 seconds may not seem like a long time, but when there are other people around working out, stretching, etc. It feels like forever. The top bar was definitely too high for me to stretch on, but the second one was fine. The only problem was that they weren't staggered and they are pretty close together.  Enter, another woman stretching who I watched out of the corner of my eye just to see how she was going to maneuver these bars.  I almost laughed out loud in the middle of all those people.  All she did was slide her foot under the top bar and rest her heel on the bottom one. Seriously, it was simple. Thank you to random woman stretcher who was able to save me from my brain short circuiting!

I have still continued my morning yoga. I can do a squat without my knees being in pain or way to tight.  I feel much stronger in my legs during everyday activity and while running. Still taking it a day at a time with stretching. It is nice because now I pretty much have my yoga routine memorized.  So, I can practice it while watching something else, or if I'm not at home and don't have my DVD. I just checked out a book about Qigong which I may start incorporating into my daily life. It is completely new to me, but the book is very descriptive and there are pictures, so we will see. I don't think there are any Qigong classes in this area.  Either way, I am really, really grateful for yoga to help me maintain my flexibility and strength.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment