Friday, January 1, 2010

My first yoga class

I'm 27 and started practicing yoga at my apartment in early 2009. I chose to use a DVD that I bought from the store. I chose this route due to money constraints and how much fear I had to do yoga in front of others.

I've been overweight the majority of my life. Growing up fat, I learned that I should be ashamed of my body. I tried to be invisible the best that I could so that people wouldn't notice me. It was easy to do because most people ignored me anyways when they passed me on the street, in a store, etc. I learned that fat equaled ugly and that I shouldn't be sexual at all. Over the last four years, I have lost about 105 lbs. and been able to keep off 80 lbs. of that weight loss. I went from a size 28 to a size 16, and I stay at size 18 these days.

Now I realize that I'm not as big as I used to be, but in our society today being a size 18 still tends to be get put in the overweight/obese category. And while I do not loathe my body like I used to, I was still pretty uncomfortable practicing yoga in front of others. I mean from my limited knowledge of yoga, I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. Because I only saw thin, skinny, fit people doing yoga.

I do not fit in this category. Seriously what are people going to think of ME doing yoga. You have to twist, bend, and do these poses that can seem a little suggestive at times!

Well, this past tuesday, I had the opportunity to take part in a free yoga class. It was an hour and a half. I hadn't done yoga in months. I had only done 30-40 minutes at a time before this night. But I'm on vacation and I was completely committed to having a refreshing vacation. Yoga fit the bill.

So the following is the post from my facebook status when I came back from yoga class that night.

um, so. . .yoga. it was. i need more practice. and at least i'm still pretty flexible for a big girl, right?! lol. at the end i had this moment. i knew i was doing something healing and enriching for myself then my body was just like-we miss this, we should do this more-and i felt like crying. and i'm ok with this.

This post and other inspiring circumstances have led me to creating this blog. I believe yoga can be for everyone. My first yoga class showed me that I don't need to be ashamed of my body. I can do downward dog with everyone else. I don't need to compare myself with everyone else. I don't have to be the best. It is enough to be me and practice yoga the best that I can.

In a world where diets, eating disorders, and health complications due to these disorders run rampant, my goal is to commit myself to my yoga practice. For my health and my spirit. Why should I continue to deny myself of something that is so invigorating, rejuvenating, and challenging? It is time. Time to live fully and that for me includes practicing yoga.

Join me on my journey. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment