Friday, January 8, 2010

Learning to listen. . .

to my body! I think this is what I am going to have to improve on. I fell about an hour before my yoga class Tuesday. I seemed to be okay right after I fell and so I went as I planned.

As soon as I started my yoga practice, my knee hurt in the sitting pose. I already use a modification for my back, and I wasn't sure what to do about my knee. Then we did a short chant. Om, shanti, shanti, shanti, Om. . . It's wonderful. I never did the chanting for I started this class. There is something beautiful and profound about chanting these sanskrit words. Well, then we were on to downward dog and my right wrist was hurting more than I thought it was. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to put my weight on it or not. But it got easier and I decided to push through it.

My practice this night was much more difficult than the previous week. I was in a different spot than the week before. I had two friends there that hadn't come the week before. I was no longer on vacation. And I was pissed off about a situation at work. But I went in with the intention that I needed to trust that it would work itself out. I no longer was in control, so my action was to let go and trust higher power. I was glad to practice this while I had yoga, had I stayed home and been in my head it would've been much harder! It was also difficult to not worry about how my friends were doing in the class. At least when I went, I didn't expect things to be as they were the week before.

That night some practiced headstand pose, headstand strengthener and headstand modified. I think this is when I somehow strained my neck. I realized how weak my upper body is and how I need to work on strengthening it before I try this again! My wrist is still hurting today too. I think my ankle is healing. After some rest, arnica, stretching and ice, I do feel my body healing itself which I am extremely thankful!

So, I am learning that not only do I need to listen to my body outside of yoga, but also in yoga. I don't need to try and something just because I used to do be able to do it a year ago. I need to work with where I am at today, so that I can work back up to a higher fitness level.

I also am realizing how much I don't know about yoga. All the terms for the poses and different branches of yoga. This is something I would like to explore here on my blog. So for the next few days, I am going to continue to take it easy and hopefully be able to do class on Tuesday. Even if it is with some modifications. Listen and Trust. I think this is my new mantra. Namaste.

4 comments:

  1. Very good. Listening and trusting are 2 very important virtues to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, just read your blog. Thanks for being so honest and open with your thoughts and feelings. Keep on practicing, that is all any of us can do! Peace, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. trust. pffffttt.
    well. listening to your body is quite important. The heartbeat sets a cycle for personal physiological processes. Spacetime sets the cycle for day, night, seasons, and alot of other conditions we must use our body to navigate through(we all live by the clock and calendar). So finding the moderate balance between these two(or more) rhythms is probably a good harmony to give our grace. I am under the impression our chakra wheels are very relative to pulse.
    Sounds like somebody needs to get some kinks massaged out. Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I did utilize some massage and it helped immensely! And i'm very grateful to be on this path of heightened awareness of my body! it sure makes a difference! practicing yoga with care. peace.

    ReplyDelete