Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The track at the Nat

I have gone to The Natatorium in Cuyahoga Falls off and on for about 15 years, probably more. The old Nat you could run around the track basically without being seen for at least half of the track.  Then it was remodeled sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's. The new facility was a major upgrade.  The only thing with the track is practically everyone in the building can see you running it.  Okay, maybe on everyone, but dang close.  For some reason, I have had an irrational fear of everyone watching me run/walk.  I think run/walking on the Sand Run trail has helped somewhat. But I decided to face this fear on Monday the 25th.  It was raining, and I didn't really have running rain gear plus I didn't want to use the treadmill.  I figured the track was going to be easier on my joints.

I wasn't too crowded, since it was about 8:30 am. Funny how I would typically think that is early. But in gym world for morning workouts, that is late. Most people have already been at work for 30 minutes. Anyways, it really was fine. The weird thing was not saying hello to everyone as I went around. Other than that I chose to believe that what other people think of me isn't any of my business. It was mostly people over the age of 60, at least. Have to say that that kind of helped my confidence. I apologize if that is offensive. But it is what it is. I'm sure there are a lot of older people who could out run/walk me, but they weren't at the Nat on Monday morning.

I think it would be nice to have an mp3 player again, as mine died.  I was run/walking by myself. But it was okay, I didn't go crazy being alone with my thoughts. I do like working out by myself sometimes, so it was nice. It was also nice to not have any electronics numbing my mind. I know I'm full of contradictions.  Basically, it was great to face my fear of everyone watching. It really wasn't that big of deal. I am not the center of the universe or the center of the Natatorium. And today that is relief! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment