Sunday, July 31, 2011

Last Week's Tri Practice

Wednesday, I was running late to our weekly triathlon practice at Munroe Falls Lake, so I was in that rushed mood. When I arrived, I discovered that there would be just 3 of us. I missed the regulars that weren't there a lot - Laura, Gabe and the Freedom House guys. But I got to meet a friend of Cassie's. I did two laps run/walking around the lake which is probably about 2.5 miles.

Then I got in the water with Cassie, just the two of us, to do laps. I got in about 6 laps before they kicked us out of the lake to close. It was very quiet and serene to swim that night. Still dealing with algae that floats up, but somehow getting used to that. Have I mentioned how much I love swimming? Well, I love it! Apparently, Cassie says I make swimming look graceful. She particularly likes my backstroke. But somehow I can't swim straight while doing the backstroke. I always end up in the opposite lane and thankfully there aren't very many people when we swim. 

I was seriously considering registering for the Greater Cleveland Sprint Triathlon that is held in Mentor, OH. And I had a lot of questions for Cassie. The Sprint Tri is a 600 meter swim, 12 mile bike ride and 3 mile run(run/walk.) Mainly, I was worried about whether I could do it, and if it was okay to do the tri without having done all three distances together. Cassie says that I should be able to do it no problem, and that it isn't a big deal about doing all the distances. I also wanted to be sure that if I got the mountain bike fixed up that it would be okay to use for the race. Again, she said it would be fine. Her friend that she brought had done the same tri last year. I got more comfortable about the idea.

Before we left, Cassie was set on getting me to commit to doing the tri.  And I said yes! So, my first Sprint Triathlon will be on Sunday, August 7, 2011. Very excited! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment