Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Bike Ride In A Looooong Time

I can hardly believe that this is week 8 of my training.  It definitely seems like week 8, but just looking back and seeing how far I've come. It is amazing.  Tonight was triathlon group training night out at Munroe Falls Lake Park.  The lake was really infested with Duck Weed because of the recent storm.  I was able to swim for about 25 minutes.  It would have been quite humorous to watch me do laps tonight.  The algae was also increased from the storm. So here I am swimming along, wearing Laura's tinted goggles and swim cap, doing freestyle stroke, taking a breathe and putting my head back in the water. As I put my head in the water, all I can see is big black chunk of algae attacking my face. It really creeped me out. I'd jerk out of the water and either swim around or switch to backstroke to escape the algae. Laura and Cassie called me out of the water to take our bikes over to the Bike and Hike trail in Munroe Falls right off 91.

We met Gabe, Laura's husband, John and Harrison at the trail to go for a bike ride. Thankfully, Cassie had a tire pump! I learned how to use that, and that caps really aren't needed to keep air in a tire.  Oh, yeah. I don't think that I have mentioned that I got a NEW to me bicycle! For FREE!  It was donated to Cassie and our little group that is encouraging all the Freedom House guys to get out and exercise.  It is mountain bike and I got to ride it for the first time tonight.  It rides great. The gear shifting, uploader-I think, needs some work done, but other than that it is perfect for me!

I honestly never thought that I would be bike rider.  I certainly never really intended to be one. But this summer, probably the whole year has been about doing things I never thought I would do. So I was becoming more open to the idea even before our Triathlon group started meeting. Going to Portland, OR this past May probably had a lot to do with be opening up to the idea. Almost everyone rides a bike in Portland and it is so bike friendly there! Anyways, my mom had a very terrible bicycle accident when she was 22.  She crushed her knee and was a cast from her ankle to her hip for about 6 months.  She has had problems doing stairs, not being able to hike, and overall mobility issues ever since.  Not to mention her getting her knee replaced when she was 50. Yes, I understand that this may have been a lot of misplaced fear, but nonetheless I've used as an excuse for a long time.

I'm so grateful to have had the group to ride with tonight. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. I was nervous at the beginning. Hit some hills and ended up walking my bike up the first few.  Then drill sergeant Cassie got on me about pedaling up them and not walking. It's funny how I don't want to hear it, but it's just the thing I need to hear to get into gear. She reminded me that I need to focus on the path in front of me, not stare at the top of the hill. Pedal one foot and then the other, and before you know it you are at the top of the hill. This is such a powerful metaphor for living in the moment, not getting caught up in the future, just doing right now. It was amazing! I could do the hills that I thought that I couldn't.

We rode from 91 to Kent Road near Fishcreek on the Bike and Hike trail. This meant that there was a short section where we had to ride on a road. I'm so glad that I was with a group, it really wasn't bad. Well, except for the really decayed skunk that was in the middle of the side of the road. But the actually riding on the road wasn't bad at all. Then we got to fly down some hills riding back. It was fun. I can see why people like riding. But my butt, sits bones and wrists are going to have to toughen up because that is probably what hurt and made it uncomfortable. I imagine that it will get better with the more that ride, just like everything else.

Another great Wednesday with my triathlon group! Thank you Cassie, Laura, Gabe, John and Harrison for making it an enjoyable night! Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment