Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tri Training - 4 days til Greater Cleveland Triathlon and Duathlon

There were 3 of us there tonight for our tri training. Cassie is working at the event, and Fred and I are both doing the Sprint Triathlon. It was fun. Cassie looked up what the times were for the first and last finisher in both of our age categories. That was interesting. I think the last finisher in my age group (15-29) was at least an hour and a half. I don't think it was two hours. Oh well, I'm not doing this to try and place. I will just be happy when I finish the 600 meter swim, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run(/walk.)

We also talked about the transitions, the timing Velcro ankle bracelet, and transitions. Oh and not trying to beat the other people racing, so that you end up pushing too hard and making yourself crash. To concentrate on your own pace and your own abilities. These are all reminders that I need. And I am really impressed by the technology of the ankle bracelets. There are sensors for each entry and exit for each leg AND for the transitions. Awesomeness. At this point, my transitions should be pretty quick, since I don't have special cycling shoes to change into.

So, after all this talking, we got to do about a 7 mile bike ride which took about 35 minutes. Then I did one lap around the lake which is a little more than a mile. It was rainy and we decided to skip the swim tonight. I got to adjust my seat, so that my leg could straighten out better. It made a big difference in the ease of pedaling.

I have a bike rack to borrow through the Triathlon. I have a helmet that I'm borrowing for a month or two.  One of the things that I am lacking is bike shorts. Cassie says they make a huge difference. I think I'm going to check out Dick's on Friday and see if they sell them. Cassie is lending me a number waist belt. I'm so excited and nervous. They really are the same emotion. I am going to practice the whole one day at a time attitude. And start visualizing finishing each leg of the tri when I get worried about it.

Very grateful that I am able to stay at Cassie's moms' house the night before. Not that I couldn't have driven the hour to Mentor, but it's just nice to be there closer in the morning. And have the camaraderie the night and morning before the tri. It will probably be challenging, but I think it will be fun and completely worth it! I'm also looking forward to be able to see the Headlands Park. Overall, I think I'm pretty prepared, and able to finish. For today, I have done what I can to prepare. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment