Friday, August 12, 2011

Race Day - August 7, 2011 - Part Two

I got up at about 5:10 am on Sunday morning practically wide awake.  I did end up showering because that is part of my wake up routine. I did my yoga practice in Linda's living room. Fred ended up doing the last half with me which was great to be able to introduce someone to yoga. I drank a protein shake and took a banana for the road. I put on all needed items for the beginning of the tri and finished packing my bag for the day. I couldn't find my watch in the morning. I looked several times which included taking everything out of my bags and putting it back. Still no watch. As much as I wanted it to be able to pace myself, I took it as a sign from my higher power to be in the moment. I have a tendency to be a clock watcher and felt it would stress me out too much to have a watch. Cassie had offered me hers, but I declined hoping that it would help me stay focused on the moment.

Thankfully Cassie drove us over the Mentor Headlands State Park where the triathlon was being held. We got there around 6:30 a.m. My little inferiority complex kicked in to high gear telling me that everyone was going to know that I was new. Because of my mountain bike and lack of "race gear". I was able to keep going and get distracted by getting my race packet. It included my number, 339, for running, my number for my helmet, and my bike. Yes, I'm a dork and liked that my number was a compilation of a number, 9, that was divisible by the two other numbers, 3. I don't typically like odd numbers, but I liked these ones. Thank goodness! I didn't need any bad number ju-ju. Then I got get my body marked with my number on my right and left arm. Oh, and let's not forget that they put your age on your calf. I understand that I am only 29, but this also allows you to know the age of the people that are passing on bike or run portions. My packet also contained my fluorescent yellow swim cap for my age group - 15-29.

We then headed to the transition area where only people racing were allowed. I took my bike in, found the rack for my number and started setting up my transition for swim to bike and bike to run. At this point, the sun was coming up, the sky was cloudy but blue, and you could smell the beach. There were several other people setting up their transition areas, and I felt sick to my stomach. I haven't been that nervous in quite some time. I called my friend, Shana Jane. She reminded me that everyone had a first triathlon at some point, that it was okay to be new and be a learner that day. I took a deep breathe and tried to take in what she said. I also took some Rescue Remedy (homeopathic remedy for anxiety), so that hopefully my nerves would calm down somewhat. I also was able to go to the bathroom (i.e. take a dump), and Cassie says that it is going to be a good race if this happens. We made another bathroom stop for Fred, and headed to the beach.


Mentor Headlands State Park for GCT - 7:15 a.m.
  I love the water, sand, waves, fresh water smell, etc. Behind us in the picture are all the people walking to the swim start for the sprint and international distance triathlon. This is where Cassie said good-bye. Notice my body marking on my right arm and the fluorescent cap that I'm holding. And our handy dandy ankle bracelets that track our times. I'm pretty sure that Fred was just as nervous as I was.







January 2006

I've had really mixed emotions about this whole experience. It usually ends in feeling surreal. It is connected to why I named my blog Big Girls Practice Yoga Too. I was extremely overweight for the majority of my life and I'm still larger than the average woman (whatever that is.) But I have to say I never thought that I would do a triathlon. I had run in high school a little bit to lose weight, but that was pretty much it. I enjoyed it a little, but it just seemed too hard. Too much energy, too much exertion. So, I quit. It seems that when I am one way for a long period of time, I put myself in a box with all these labels. Such as, I'm fat, I'm ugly, I'm lazy, stupid, etc. And it takes a long time to lose those labels and replace them with new ones. This training journey including yoga has been helping me to re-train my brain, but the residual effects are still there. I included the photo to the left for people that have never known me at that size and for myself to remember what it used to be like. It probably isn't my top weight. I probably have very few photos from that period as I avoided photographs.

Back to the triathlon. My start time was supposed to be 7:45 a.m. At that time though, they still hadn't started the international distance. It had gotten very cloudy and dark. There were people in kayaks on the water, and the waves were extremely large! It seemed more like we were at the ocean than Lake Erie. There was talk of the swim being canceled, most people were hoping it was only delayed. I met this very nice young woman named Hannah who just moved from Florida and was a med student at Case Western Reserve. It was great to meet someone new and have a distraction from my race jitters. They actually were going away. I did swim momentarily in the water, just to get wet. The waves were just as rough as they looked. Nothing like swimming in Munroe Falls Lake!

Finally there was movement and we noticed the international distancers had started. There were people walking the water, it was so bad. Mickey Ryzmek had made his way down and in Mickey style with his megaphone, announced that we would start shortly.  To be continued. Namaste.



No comments:

Post a Comment